|Description:||Holding a yellow-colored rubber ball over his head, this young boy was poised, about to shoot the ball into the air in an attempt to drop it through a basket above, during his outdoor physical education class session, which was taking place at one of the many metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia primary schools. This was but one of the many playground activities offered, providing school children with a wide array of choices, which would allow them to exercise all aspects of their growing bodies.|
Physical Activity and the Health of Young People:
- Helps build and maintain healthy bones and muscles.
- Helps reduce the risk of developing obesity and chronic diseases, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and colon cancer.
- Reduces feelings of depression and anxiety and promotes psychological well-being.
- May help improve students’ academic performance, including
- Academic achievement and grades
- Academic behavior, such as time on task
- Factors that influence academic achievement, such as concentration and attentiveness in the classroom.