|Description:||Here you see school children who were about to participate in a footrace during their outdoor physical education class, which was taking place at one of the many metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia primary schools. Such energetic activity would help to burn off calories, and pent up energy accrued while sitting at their schoolroom desks during their indoor classes. Aside from a place to gather and play together, the schoolyard provided a wide array of athletic choices, allowing them to exercise all aspects of their growing bodies.|
Physical Activity and the Health of Young People:
- Helps build and maintain healthy bones and muscles.
- Helps reduce the risk of developing obesity and chronic diseases, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and colon cancer.
- Reduces feelings of depression and anxiety and promotes psychological well-being.
- May help improve students’ academic performance, including
- Academic achievement and grades
- Academic behavior, such as time on task
- Factors that influence academic achievement, such as concentration and attentiveness in the classroom.