|Description:||This historic image depicted the W.H. Welch, a quarantine boarding launch, a type of tug boat, used by the United States Public Health Service (USPHS) to conduct inspections and fumigations upon incoming ships in order to insure that disease-carrying crew members, or cargo, did not disembark upon the shore of the United States.|
Built by the Spedden Shipbuilding Company, Baltimore, Maryland, in 1934, the W.H. Welch, this vessel was commissioned by the USPHS, and was docked at the maritime Rosebank Quarantine Station, located in Rosebank, Staten Island, New York. The Quarantine Station was opened from 1873, and closed in 1971.