- Dress appropriately. Wear brightly colored, close-fitting clothing. Tie your shoes and secure long laces and loose pant legs. Do not wear headphones.
- Always wear a properly fitted helmet.
- Ride a bicycle that fits. When seated on the bicycle, both feet should be firmly planted on the ground and hands should reach the handlebars.
- Do not carry anyone else on the bicycle. A bicycle with one seat is a bicycle for one person.
- If riding when it is dark, use headlights, taillights and reflectors, and wear bright clothing with reflective material.
- Follow all traffic laws, including:
If riding in the street, ride in the same direction as motor vehicles, on the right hand side of the street, about two or three feet from the edge.
Use hand signals when turning and stopping.
Obey traffic signs and signals.